- 3 cups frozen green beans (french cut or regular), cooked and drained
- 1/2 of a 12 ounce bag of Yolk Free Egg Noodles
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 6 tablespoons butter (or 1/4 and 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil)
- 6 tablespoons (1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (or 1-1/2 cups water and 2 teaspoons better than bullion)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 25 cranks of the pepper mill's worth of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (or more) French Fried Onions
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Green Bean Casserole
It's getting to be that time of year when I want warm comfort foods. If I weren't currently on a super clean eating cleanse where I was avoiding dairy and gluten, I would want this for dinner.
I made up this casserole recipe last year by combining my two favorite casseroles--tuna noodle casserole with chicken instead of tuna and green bean casserole. The tuna noodle casserole is a family recipe. I found a recipe for a chicken an bean casserole at Taste of Home. I hope you enjoy!
Green Bean, Chicken, and Cheddar Cheese Casserole with Yummy Crunch French Fried Onions on Top
Serves 6 to 8, 35 minutes to Prepare and Cook
Preheat the oven to 375 ˚F. Cook the green beans and the noodles according to the directions. Drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth and cook for two minutes. Gradually add broth, milk, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add green beans, chicken, and noodles to the mixture and stir well. Pour the mixture into a 2.75 quart casserole dish. Cover the mixture with the cup of shredded cheese. Put the casserole in the oven for 10 to 13 minutes. Remove and sprinkle the french fried onions on top. Return the casserole to the oven for five minuets. Remove and eat.