Thursday, September 3, 2015

What have we gotten ourselves into...

This is a pictureless post, you'll soon learn why.

Last August, Hubs and I went to a presentation to learn about becoming foster parents. We signed up for the next training class scheduled for our area. We had our house inspected by the fire marshall! He let us know that our windows were perfect for escaping out of in case of a fire, though he missed our first floor fire alarm and, also, that plastic dryer vents catch on fire easily. We fixed the problems he identified so that our house would be safe. We set up my sister-in-law's old bunk bed in our guest bedroom. A social worker came to interview us separately. In October we started our training classes from 6 to 9 at night on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We had eight training classes. Our case worker told us he hopped we would be licensed before the holidays. We got our licensing certificate in February.

We were so excited and I was kind of terrified. I am not at all a loving and maternal sort of person. I am practical and pragmatic; as my husband says I've got the emotional depth of a shallow puddle. But I knew I could count on Hubs to help with the feelings and emotions and I could knock meeting material needs out of the park and show love by showing concern about favorite foods and things needed for comfort so I knew we'd do all right.

We had a wonderful little girl placed with us in March, on my husband's birthday. She just got dropped off right after school. It has been quite the adventure for us to get used to her and for her to get used to us. In June, we had another kiddo join us. We are so thankful that the two girls get along, better than I got along with my little sisters. I am so happy that we've got to know them.

Anyway, because they're not ours and we hope that they'll go back to living with their moms and dads, I can't talk about them much or share pictures of them. So, that's why there are no pictures in this post. And, I probably won't mention them much except now I'll be able to say my recipes have been kid tested.

I don't know what being a parent to children that you and your partner gave birth to is like. But I now know what it's like to take care of kids and it's really hard and kind of scary sometimes. I think it's worth it, but it's the hardest thing I've ever done and I've taken two Bar Exams. This is legitimately the biggest thing that's happened in my life, let alone in this year I haven't been blogging.

Best,
eHa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.