Tuesday, September 1, 2015

I'm Back...



So it's been awhile but I am back. As I've talked about in the past, I graduated from law school and couldn't find a full time job. I lawyer temp work for a non-profit and contract work for local attorneys. Last year I got offered a position as a law clerk and I jumped at the opportunity! Clerkships are relatively prestigious because you work and learn about how judges think and how the courts work.

Unfortunately for me, because law clerks work so closely with the judges they have to follow the same ethical rules as the judges which can be summed up as: Be impartial and don't do anything thing that makes it look like you might be partial. Law clerks likewise cannot do anything that might seem to make the courts look unfair or undignified. If you're really curious, you can read the American Bar Association's Model Code of Judicial Conduct or this Handout on Judicial Ethics for Law Clerks (this last one has a whole section on social media use which can be summed up with this: "You cannot exercise too much caution with online activities.")

In what may have been an over abundance of caution, I stopped blogging and made my blog private. I did not want to get myself or the courts in trouble because of some silly thing I blogged about. I also deleted my LinkedIn account because I was only connected to other lawyers and I unfriended almost everyone on Facebook that I wasn't actually friends with. (I stayed pretty active on Instagram because I'm a twenty-something and I would go crazy without social media.) My clerkship is now over, I learned a lot, and I have a job practicing law! So I am making full use of my First Amendment Rights, I'm back on LinkedIn, I am friending EVERYONE on Facebook, and I am starting up my blog again! So much has changed in the last year and I can't wait to share everything! You guys, I've missed blogging so much!

Best,
eHA

2 comments:

  1. Loved this update! Glad that you are doing so well, and I can't wait to see what's next for you :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be slowly sharing updates about my life in the past year!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.