Thursday, February 20, 2014

Black Bean Tacos

Mr. H LOVED this accidental creation.
We had an extra jalapeño and leftover chicken broth and
I decided to make tacos with black beans for the filling.
Ingredients
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup dried black beans, soaked (about 2 cans cooked black beans drained)
1 jalapeño pepper diced
1 to 2 onions diced (I used 1½ small onions because I also made blender salsa)
1 Tbsp chili powder
½ Tbsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cumin
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon oregano
½ tsp seasoning salt
½ Tbsp corn starch
1 1/2 c. broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable your choice)

Directions
Saute onions and jalapeño in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until soft. Add soaked beans, broth, and spices. Bring to boil then simmer covered for an hour or until the beans are cooked through. (If you use canned beans you do not need to cook the beans as long.) If there is too much liquid with the beans after simmering for an hour take off the lid the pot and turn the heat up to medium to cook off the extra liquid.

Serve the beans on tortillas with your favorite condiments (pinterest blender salsa and sour cream) and veggies (olives, tomato, and iceberg lettuce). Or try serving it over delicious cheesy Mexican rice.

I just tried recreating it to test the recipe I wrote down after I the first time I made this and it is pretty spicy! I was at my limit. If you need to keep things mild omit the cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and reduce the amounts of chili powder and paprika. If you don't want to mix up the spices yourself or buy them all you can use a packet of taco seasoning instead of the spices in the recipe.

I had originally thought to make black bean tacos  because ground beef is really expensive but I love tacos. I've been subbing black beans into other "Mexican" recipes where there's ground meat like Skinny Taste's Taco Stuffed Succhini Boats and Budget Bytes' Beef Taco Pasta (like Mexican Hamburger Helper) and so I gave it a go with tacos. I usually use the equivalent of a can of beans per pound of meat when substituting because most cans of beans weigh just short of a pound. Generally, half a cup of dried beans yields the same amount as a can of beans.

Step by Step Photos

Cooking the veggies

Adding the spices

Starting to Simmer

Done

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious! Now I'm craving Mexican!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tacos so this hit the spot for me! They were so delicious. Also, pretty spicy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.