Thursday, July 3, 2014

House Hunting

Maybe We'll Find a House Like this One

Hubs and I are moving and we're looking to buy a house. The further north and the further away from the coast you go in Maine the less expensive houses become. Our pidly downpayment savings will go much further near where his new job is. I am less than thrilled to be moving further into the wilderness but I am so excited about owning a home--the next step on the path to adulthood plus I'll really be able to decorate it and we can have a dog and we'll have space for a nursery.

Hubs is doing all the heavy lifting in the house hunt and to help him I gave him and incredibly long list of things I would like to have in our first home:

  • Dishwasher
  • No carpet (bedroom and stairs or anywhere)
  • Walk in closet
  • 1.5 or more bathrooms
  • Easy to clean surfaces
  • Double basin kitchen sink
  • Garbage disposal
  • Partially finished basement
  • 3+ bedroooms
  • Double oven
  • Central air
  • High celings (7 1/2' is too low)
  • Fireplace
  • Lots of large windows for light
  • Well insulated
  • Wash basin/sink in lanudry room
  • Drainage in basement
  • Attached 2 car garage (1 car is okay if I can park in the garage)
  • Not in a noisy location (reglular highway noise is fine)
  • Good schools
  • Near grocery store and hospital
  • Away from flooding concerns
  • Mud room
  • Pantry
  • On town water and sewer
  • In town so the mailman brings the mail to our door

Is there anything else you think I should add to the list? I'd love a Prairie School or Craftsman style home but it's not an architectural style that's common in New England as far as I can tell.

Any tips for house buying? We are complete and total newbies.


2 comments:

  1. Those are some sensible requests, Eha. It would be difficult to find a house with all of those, but it would definitely be worth it. The thing I agree the most with would be the ceiling height. I think seven and a half feet is simply too low and can get you guys a little claustrophobic. Maybe you can also add having an updated kitchen to that list just to be sure? Good luck! :D

    Denise Bolds @ Vancouver Canada Homes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.