Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Birthday Recap

On Friday at work everyone "surprised" me with pizza, cake, and a nice scarf as a present. (Everyone gets a desert, pizza, and a present for their birthday so I knew it was coming and it wasn't really a surprise but I am happy to be working someplace where everyone is so nice and thoughtful.) I also got to leave work early to kick off my birthday weekend. I needed to pick up my mom because she had flown out to spend my birthday with me.

My Mom and Me at Dinner

I got caught in horrible traffic on the way to get her though. It was so bad it reminded me of being home in Chicago. So now I won't feel homesick for a while. The worst part was that I was stuck all by myself. It would have been just fine being stuck in the car with my mom. But I felt so bad that she was waiting all by herself.

When we got back to my house, I started making oven fajitas for dinner. They were delicious and we had extra fixings since my mom thought guacamole and was an essential item.

My mom bought us delicious wild blueberry pie at the grocery store for dinner and we had that for desert.

The next day was my birthday! I knew my mom would want to go to Freeport for some shopping and I was happy to oblige. On the way to the outlets we stopped at the Bow Street Market and got two of my favorite drinks--Capt'n Eli's Blueberry Pop and CuriousTraveler's Shandy. The Shandy is a delightful beer that even I like and I am a not a beer drinker. They don't carry it at the regular grocery store. 

We went shopping. My mom got new work clothes. I was sorely tempted by the Oxford cloth button front shirts at Vineyard Vines as they were 30% off. We went to the Coach outlet and my mom got me a new navy blue cross body purse because she wasn't able to fit the largest present she bought me in her suitcase.

On our way back from the stores we stopped at the Mediterranean Grill for lunch. It was delicious! I had a chicken sandwich. I can't wait to go back because the menu discretion for the gyros makes it sound like they have real ones 

We went home and walked around downtown. I am so fortunate to live in a town with a unique and thriving downtown. We stopped into a home goods store and I picked up an early Christmas present for my husband.

My Birthday Cake!

My husband used the time we were out shopping to go get my birthday cake. I had requested a store bought cake. Homemade cake is nice enough but I just love the frosting on the cakes from the cakes from the store.

Only the best lobster houses have giant mutant lobsters.

I had the hardest time trying to decide where to eat my birthday dinner. I was trying to decide between my favorite nice place, Richard's, a new place, Enoteca Athena, and the lobster house, Cook's. We ended up going to Estes Lobster House because my mother in law suggested it when we called to see how many of their family would be joining us for dinner. I was so glad she suggested it! The menu was a little simpler and a little less expensive but the atmosphere was extra kitschy (I consider this a plus) and the food was delicious!

A lobsterman?

My husband got fried clams instead of the scallops he
ordered so he got two dinners instead of one.
While I think clams are gross, they do taste just fine fried.
My theory holds.

As I mentioned, I loved the decor.

My lobster mac n cheese with a double side of fries
was so 





After dinner, we went back to my apartment, ate cake and ice cream, and I opened my presents! My husband got quite a few quality action shots.



My presents.

This is my favorite. It's so flattering.



This is a good one too! In terms of oddest facial expression ever.

My mom got me a vera bradley home and away
cosmetic case. But I already have one. :/
I told her I liked it so much I had already gotten it myself. 

Now I have all the Skylanders Giants
except for Ninjini.


The next day my mom, my husband, and I went to Broadway Deli for brunch. And, the my mom had to head back to the airport. : ( But I got doughnuts in Portland right before dropping her off.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! You look so cute in your Lilly and pearls! Very cool looking restaurant - lobster mac sounds delicious. Glad you had a fun time and enjoyed your special day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you're in New England you should try some lobster mac n cheese. It's much easier than eating a boiled lobster and cheese just makes everything better!

      Delete
  2. Your outfit is so adorable! Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.