Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I Made Grandma's Cookies "Healthy"

I've been trying to make a breakfast cookie so that I have something low fat and low sugar to snack on when I get a craving for something sweet so I fiddled with my Grandma's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to make something I could eat everyday that wouldn't raise my HDL and blood glucose levels to dangerously high amounts. 



Ingredients

Heaping 1/2 c applesauce, unsweetened

1 1/4 c oatmeal (I use quick cook)

1 egg

1/2 t vanilla

1/4 to 1/2 c light brown sugar (I think 1/3 c is best for my taste buds' preferences)

3/4 c whole wheat flour

1/2 t salt

1/2 t baking soda (in a box)

Scant 1/2 c (3 oz) Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips


Warm the apple sauce and mix with the oatmeal. Let sit for up to 10 min. to soften. Mix in sugar and liquid ingredients. Mix in flour, chocolate, and baking soda. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies. 

Instead of chips you can use nuts (pecans are my favorite). Use up to 1 c. nuts alone or 1/2 c chocolate chips and 1/2 c nuts. Feel free to try doubling the recipie, I halved it from my grandma's recipie while experimenting.

Hubs really loves these. I love them too. I'm so glad I gave this a try.

1 comment:

  1. oh yum! always looking for ways to make desserts healthier :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.