Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Food

I didn't want to have another post that was all CHRISTMAS and I had a taco recipe scheduled for today. But I had so much fun making sugar cookies with Mr. H yesterday that I had to share pictures and the recipe.



Classic Sugar Cookies from Ratio by Michael Ruhlman
8 oz butter
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
8 oz sugar
1/2 t salt
12 oz flour
1 t baking powder

Cream the butter sugar, egg, and vanilla. Gently mix in the remaining ingredients. Bake at 350º for no more than 15 minutes. Watch them closely since my second batch got a bit to brown around the edges.




They were so good. I ate a lot last night and I had one for breakfast this morning.

Last week I did a lot of baking and candy making. I made brownies for Mr. H's class. Then I made buckeye bark and white chocolate Christmas fudge to take Mr. H's teacher Holiday Party! We also brought a bottle of wine.

Buckeye Bark


Buckeye Bark 
1 stick unsalted butter
1 pound creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pounds chocolate chips (I used a mixture of milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chips)

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Melt 1 1/4 pounds chocolate in the microwave according to the directions on the package. Spread evenly to make a 9 by 13 inch-ish rectangle. Put in refrigerator to harden. Melt the butter and combine with the peanut butter and vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly on top of the chocolate when it is almost cool (tacky to the touch). Put back into the refrigerator to cool. Melt the remaining chocolate and spread evenly over the peanut butter. Let harden then cut into squares with a big knife.


White Fudge with Red and Green Sprinkles

Microwave White Chocolate Christmas Fudge
1 1/2 pounds white chocolate chips
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
Dash salt
1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon) vanilla extract
1 teaspoon green decorating crystals
1 teaspoon red decorating crystals

Microwave the white chocolate in a glass bowl for a minute. Add the sweetened condensed milk and salt. Stir. Microwave for 20 to 10 second intervals, stirring after each turn in the microwave, until the chocolate chips are almost melted then add the vanilla extract. Microwave once more. After the final turn in the microwave add the decorating crystals and mix until just combined. Pour into a 9 by 9 pan lined with wax paper. Sprinkle the top with more decorating crystals if you'd like. Chill for 2 hours then cut into squares.

My Kitchen Decorated for Christmas

I spent this morning "baking." Mr. H's family does a big Christmas eve dinner. So I roasted some pecans and made pecan pie and I started on the rainbow jello salad for desert. I also prepped for making the savory side dishes for the ham. I hope to have pictures from Christmas Day up on Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.