Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Refrigerator Pickles



I love pickled beets. (Also other types of pickles.) Canned pickled beets (Aunt Nellie's) cost twice as much just plain canned beets so I thought I'd try my hand at making them on my own. I found this recipe and then modified it to my tastes; though I love garlic, I do not love garlic and beets. At the same time I prepared the beets, I made Budget Bytes's Spicy Pickled Carrots, I substituted a half teaspoon of red pepper flakes for the jalapeño.


Refrigerator Pickled Beets

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 15-oz can beets, drained
1 teaspoon black pepper or pickling spice
1 pint sized canning jar or similar heat proof container with lid

Boil the cider vinegar, water, and sugar for 5 minutes. Let cool. Add beets and spices to jar, pour vinegar mixture over the top and put a tight lid on the jar. Put in fridge and let stew for a week, shaking occasionally for fun.

Step By Step Photos

Prepping

Making the Pickling Vinegar

Filling up the Canning Jar

Adding the Pepper

Adding the Pickling Spice

Topping it off with the Vinegar Mixture

Ready to Chill in the Fridge

Update: I find the black pepper pickled beets to taste better with equal amounts of vinegar, water, and sugar.


PS I apologize for missing my regularly scheduled Thursday post last week; I was sick AND I had a trial to prep for and I completely forgot what day I was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.