Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lemon, Garlic, Cauliflower Israeli Couscous

I was at work. I went to the printer and there was this recipe from the washingon post sitting by the printer. It looked interesting. It was still there several days later so I took it home. Then a week later we got some cauliflower at the farmer's market. I've modified the original recipe so as not to waste the cauliflower strem and to make use of what we had on hand. My husband really liked it and thought the cauliflower stems were sliced garlic.

I thought it was a bit too lemony so I modified the recipe but included the original amount of lemon juice. I also think it might be good to dice an onion or a shallot, cook it in the oil that the couscous will be added to, and then leave it in there while the couscous is cooking. But I didn't think to try that. Maybe I'll do it next time and there will be a next time with this recipe!



Lemon, Garlic, Cauliflower Israeli Couscous

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. dried Israeli couscous
1 T olive oil
1/4 c. pine nuts (up to 1/2 c.)
1 1/2 c. water + 2 t Chicken Better than Bullion

2T olive oil
2 T Garlic Cloves, pressed
1 head cauliflower, florets cut into 3/4 inch pieces and stem peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 c. water + 1/2 t Chicken Better than Bullion
Seasoning Salt & Pepper to taste

3 T lemon juice (this is an estimate, the original recipe called for 6 T which made the couscous taste very, very lemony)
1/2 t sugar or honey
1 T dried parsley flakes

Directions:
Heat 1 T oil in a sauce pan. When hot cook the couscous and pine nuts for 5 minutes at medium or medium low temperature until browned. Season with extra salt, pepper, and garlic if you would like. Add the water an bullion. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes. (Basically follow the directions on the couscous package.)

While the couscous is cooking . . .
Heat 2 T oil in a large skillet. Add the cauliflower stems and cook for 3 to 5 minutes at a medium heat until browned. Add garlic cook for a minute or two. Add the florets and season with salt and pepper. Add the water and bullion. Stir and increase the heat to medium high. Cook for 7 to 9 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Uncover and cook until most of the broth has evaporated.

In a large bowl combine the couscous, cooked cauliflower, lemon juice, sugar, and parsley. Serve warm or cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I read all comments and I try to reply to all of them if I can! If you want me to email you a reply to your comment go to your Blogger profile, select show your email address and put in your email address.